sauce is so versatile that it can be a wonderful condiment for many dishes including pasta, pizza, chicken, fish and more.
It can also be dressed up well with sausages, mushrooms, and all manner of vegetables. Homemade tomato sauce is simple, and healthier
as the sauce is made fresh from the ingredients. Why not give this basic homemade tomato sauce a try?
Easy Healthy Recipe: Homemade Tomato Sauce
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Medium onion - 1/2, finely chopped
- Small carrot - 1, finely chopped
- Small stalk of celery, including the green tops - 1, finely chopped
- Chopped fresh parsley - 1 tbsp
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Chopped fresh basil - 2 tbsp
- Fresh tomatoes, peeled - 1 3/4 lb, seeded, and chopped
- Tomato paste - 1 tsp
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in chopped onion, carrot, celery, and parsley. Sauté for about 2 minutes to mix. Then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and let cook for about 20 minutes so that vegetables tender.
- When 20 minutes elapsed, remove the cover. Increase the heat back to medium-high and stir in minced garlic. Sauté for another 5 minutes to mix well with the vegetables.
- Add in tomatoes, tomato paste, and basil. Bring the mixture to boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes until the sauce thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the cooked sauce to a food mill or a blender. Blend to give the tomato sauce a smooth consistency.
- Tomato sauce is now ready for serving. It can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week or frozen up to 3 months.
Yield: 2 cups of tomato sauces